Why the Brown Paper Motif? Or the new look on Branding.


When you come to my new site, you will see things in a brownish tone. Well it’s brownish to me. Give me a break I’m color blind. The site has been changed for now because I bought a book on branding myself. No, not in the whole cattle hot iron type, but as in I need to set myself up as a brand. Brands are something I have not thought about as a way to display my wares, but I have thought about in terms of my portfolio and my business cards. I chose the brown paper because it is what I cover my tables in before I work. Well, I cover them now because of the wife. It is hard to pull liquid latex out of carpet. And I work very messy. I draw on the closest thing to me when I get an idea. This could be a napkin, a sketch book, my work table.

Brown paper makes me think that something is about to happen or in the process of happening.. Brown paper is a good base for most forms of work. You can tell a lot about what happened in a location by the scraps that are left. Are there coffee stains and ink blots on it or is it covered in pure white paint? Is it covered in mathematical equations and designs from some cryptic grimoire? This could be the scraps of some very important work. Image what DaVinci’s palette looked like after painting the Mona Lisa. Was that palette simply thrown away afterwards? The palette can look more interesting then the final piece a lot of times. Packages also used to come wrapped in brown paper. Covering a package in brown paper makes me think someone took the time to wrap and care for whatever is inside.

I have large rolls of brown paper and I now keep scraps with me just in case an idea runs through my brain. I’ll post some of them from time to time.